I hit the big 4-0 a while back and I’m determined to do everything I can to stay strong and healthy. I’ve taken a special interest in learning how to naturally optimize my testosterone levels–something I took for granted in my younger days. I’ll share some of what I’ve learned here.
My first piece of advice is to be very skeptical of testosterone booster supplements. My mind may change one day, but I’m underwhelmed with the studies I’ve seen so far for these kind of products–I’ve yet to see any that are scientifically proven to raise your levels.
I’d suggest you stick to the following simple steps (not necessarily in order). I’ve included links to more detailed articles for some of these:
1. Lose weight and/or keep your body fat relatively low. There’s a positive correlation between body fat and estrogen levels. This connection isn’t completely understood, but it seems the more body fat you have, the greater your potential to produce higher levels of estrogen. Keeping your body fat at healthy levels will likely help you have a better ratio of testosterone to estrogen. I’d recommend the Renegade Diet if you are looking for a good plan to lose fat.
2. Lift weights. Resistance training tends to have a positive effect on testosterone levels (in the immediate sense and in the long-term). Lift weights at least three times a week but avoid overtraining (I usually limit my training sessions to 60 minutes or less). You can chose from my recommended programs if you are looking for a workout guide.
3. Check your vitamin D levels and consider supplementing. I’ve mentioned the importance vitamin d plays in sex hormones. Get your levels tested if you can and consider taking vitamin d3 supplements if you are low.
4. Get enough sleep. I mentioned this in my post about sleep and testosterone. Sleep deprivation has been shown to decrease T levels, even in young men.
5. Eat vegetables like broccoli. The chemicals in certain vegetables can help with hormone balance.
6. Go easy on the alcohol, especially beer. Overindulging in alcohol will wreak havoc on your health and hormones (not to mention messing up your life in general).
Try these steps if you want to improve your overall health and boost your testosterone naturally.